Face your page right into the gutter

A couple more printing terms to brighten your day. Facing pages are pages that do just that, face each other. Page four and five face each other. Facing pages are also called Spreads or Readers Spreads. None of these are to be confused with Printers Spreads. Printers Spreads are a very different animal. Printer Spreads are how documents are built. Take a look at a newsletter or booklet that is folded and stapled down the center. The front cover and the back cover are printed on the same sheet of paper. The inside cover and the back inside cover are printed on the other side of the front and back cover. The entire booklet/newsletter is done this way. When a document is being built this way it is called imposing. It is very confusing trying to keep track of page order, which is why most printers rather do it for you. They are much better at it. The gutter is easy. The gutter is where the pages meet at the centerfold. The thing to know about gutters is to make sure they are wide enough so the type from a thick book doesn’t end up in the gutter. A sad thing that is, when good type goes into the gutter.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s