Too many choices and not enough options

More print terms to warm you heart. Some have already been explained under the topic of texture but here a few more printing/finishing terms. And don’t forget if you don’t understand a term your designer or printer uses, ask. Sometimes we forget you may not be conversant in our language.

  • Varnish—This is a finishing process. It’s a coating added to uncoated paper to minimize smudges. A black cover will often have a varnish. Only in principle is it like floor varnish.
  • Deckle edge—It’s that rough uneven edge that is left untrimmed from the paper making process.
  • Throw out—A page that is bound into a publication that folds out. A centerfold.
  • Tip-in—A card or page (usually of a different type of paper than the rest of the publication) glued into the binding of a book. Think of magazines with their subscription cards glued in.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s