A good proof–reader is a wonderful thing. I am a terrible proof–reader and I have a deep and abiding love for clichés and run–on sentences. If you are like me and you cannot use a second person to proof copy try these tricks:
- For short copy read each line backwards. It forces you to see each word as a word and not as a sentence.
- Use a sheet of paper under each line to isolate it from the rest of the copy.
- Read it out loud slowly making sure to say each word.
- Review hard copy.
- Look for one problem at a time, first spelling, punctuation and so on.
- Take a break then return to proof.
Still the best is to have another person review your copy but in lieu of that try these ideas.